Facebook

Lisa Bennett's facebook profile

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 19 May 2009

    Perceptions

    Went to the Confidence Building Course at college again today. Day 4. We covered perceptions, and first impressions, and we learned the obvious really, that we all see people in different lights.

    For instance if you saw someone in the street, and you didn't know them, you'd probably make up your mind about them, before getting to know them. Like if you saw the world renouned Scientist Stephen Hawking driving his wheelchair down the street, you'd perceive him to be obviously disabled, but probably not very bright either, whereas he is an incredibly intelligent person with an extremely high IQ. Of course you'd only know this by talking to him, or reading about him.



    This happens everyday. Someone could look at me and think i'm a butch lesbian, no surprises there of course, but they may (as some people do) perceive me to be a straight woman, or a stupid, lazy woman because I don't work, or someone not to mess with because i'm butch and big, whereas i'm really a pussycat, soft, and very hard working and intelligent, and they'd only get to know that about me when they get to know me in person, if they choose to.

    Equally, by someone hearing negative rumours about me, and not getting to know me as a person, if they choose to believe what they hear, then they are obviously small minded, and do not have an open mind to think that what they may actually be hearing about me might not be true. Interesting ah?

    Of course all these things people feel they already know, but sometimes they just need reminding!

    Things are not always as you think they are! Have an open mind for once!



    Never judge a book by its cover!

    No comments: